Coddled Breakfast

3:44 PM

My daughter loves eggs.  This is great for me because scrabbled eggs are really easy to make (Perfect Scrabbled Egg tutorial to follow - probably in a few days), and because it both reminds me to eat breakfast and gets me thinking about some of my favourite ways to eat eggs.

Coddled eggs are basically steamed or baked in either a ramekin or egg coddler until the whites are cooked, but the yolk is still a bit runny.  I like to make mine with a bit of cream, salt, pepper and a sprinkling of a sharp cheese.  SO yummy!




I was first introduced to coddled eggs through Masterchef, funnily enough.  It looked yummy, and I had never heard of it before, so I decided to hit the internet to see what I could find out.  My first few hits took me to The English Kitchen (which is now one of my favourite foodie blogs), where I found a bit of background and instructions.  I still haven't managed to get a hold of proper egg coddlers, but my mismatched ramekins do the job when I am looking for a warm, comforting little treat.

Marie, of The English Kitchen, paired her eggs with toast points.  Being a determined gluten-free dieter, I do try to limit bread-stuffs.  There are, of course, lots of GF alternatives, but if I can make meals that don't require a bread-y component at all, it's less torturous to know that my beloved artisan breads are off limits (just sayin').

The point being, that while usually, I just eat the eggs alone (I'm a recovering breakfast skipper, so I usually keep the meal small), when I do pair them, I tend to lean more towards back bacon, or a roasted veg hash.  Not the most delicate, I know, but yummy nontheless ;)

If you've never had coddled eggs, I recommend that you give them a try.  You can use your imagination to add all sorts of your favourite flavours.  It's almost herb harvest season, so I will be trying out a few new flavours myself ;)



Enhanced by Zemanta

You Might Also Like

0 comments